Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Decoupage Queen


My family often jokes that I would decoupage the entire house if I could.  I guess it is hardly a joke, considering I find any excuse to whip out the mod podge.  I will do projects ranging from wall art, covering furniture, all the way down to covering tiny canisters to keep my crafting materials in.  It's a good way to dress up ordinary objects or create art that is impossible to mess up! If you are wondering what Decoupage is here is the best definition I could find via Wikipedia:   

"Decoupage (or découpage) is the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts onto it in combination with special paint effects, gold leaf and so on..."

The Mod Podge, which is basically glue and water, dries clear.  Essentially you are sealing art materials onto a surface.  The consistency of the mixture when it meets the paper creates a cohesive effect that makes the combination of mediums look like one textured piece.  Check out the dresser I Decoupaged for my daughter's bedroom at the beach house.  This is just one example of how I use the technique.  As I continue to get more pictures I will be sharing more items.  




1 comment:

  1. I am new to decoupage and am in the process of trying it on a wooden trash can. I know that sounds odd but it is basically a square box and the front was painted with an ugly butterfly picture. Anyway, I cleaned it, let it dry, etc. Planned and placed all my decoupage paper, etc. Then I put a thin layer of modpodge on the box and placed my first layer of paper. I dont know if I just didnt have enough modpodge on there or what but as I started to put a layer on top of the paper, it bubbled up horribly to where I can't even smooth them out. I am going to try poking them with a needle to see what happens. However, if that does not work... how do I fix it? Can I start over? Please help!

    ReplyDelete